Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe SonicverseSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tutorial-Update 2 : Stop Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 Freezing (x64/x32)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sewer56lol
sewer56lol
Admin
Admin

Tutorial-Update 2 : Stop Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 Freezing (x64/x32) Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial-Update 2 : Stop Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 Freezing (x64/x32)   Tutorial-Update 2 : Stop Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 Freezing (x64/x32) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm

This is a general problem some people encounter after a fresh Windows 8 installation.

IF YOU USE 64bit system then TRY ENABLING HYPER-V FIRST

Update 2 : I did some tests to do with freezing of My 64bit Windows 8 and here are results

Stock - No Hyper V or Hotfix  = Freezes usually when having more than one Browser Tab open or More than one video.

w/ Hyper-V and Hotfix = 6 Youtube Videos ran at the same time without freeze (on different tabs) - I coudn't bother testing more never encountered freeze since then and performance then HYper-V takes about 60mb more ram but it's still about 400less than Windows 7

As some of you may already know around the web there is a random freezing issue for many users of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, the problem or well the freeze seems likely to be generated by one of the 'Kind of New Features' of Windows 8 (Actually it's an optimization) there was a hotfix for that but for some people this system is still likely to freeze (encountered this 4 Times yesterday - Not because of the virus I found thanks to it because it still happened to me today even after whole system reinstall due to what damage the worm caused after all the effort.

HotFix

The hotfix should work for 95% of machines but others still report freezing when using media or simply browsing the internet.

Quote :
Microsoft : There is a workaround for this problem that disables dynamic tick. However, disabling dynamic tick reduces battery life and power optimizations. If you applied the workaround, we recommend that you re-enable dynamic tick after you apply this update. To re-enable dynamic tick, type the following command at an elevated command prompt, and then press Enter:
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

This is the case but the update may not work for every user so if you want to get rid of the crashes you do the opposite which is disabling 'Dynamic Tick'

- Open Command Prompt (As Administrator)
- And type the opposite bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Hope this should work for others having issues.

Note - From my knowledge 'Dynamic Tick' is like a CPU governor by changing its' speed according to the needs, I guess the feature is unfinished or some hardware were not ready for it but 'Dynamic Tick' can be a very great battery saver for laptops. - Something that linux and Android had years ago

Also...

Enable Hyper-V if you still encounter freezes in your system after all, this is located in Add or Remove programs and under Disable/Enable Windo
ws features.

- The freezing issue that still persisted after the update for me could have been caused by the drivers of my graphic card.  My graphic card and CPU comes from the same vendor (AMD) and my Graphics Card drivers can also control my CPU speed so for me there was a possibility that Dynamic Tick and my Drivers' speeds were overlapping each other as they both did the same function which was constantly changing my CPU speeds according to the needs of power.
Back to top Go down
http://planetsonictest.forumotion.co.uk/

Tutorial-Update 2 : Stop Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 Freezing (x64/x32)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1